The EL6202C consists of a variable amplitude, push only, oscillator that also supplies the laser DC current. It is designed to easily interface to existing ROM controllers, reducing parts count, and power dissipation.
The reduction of parts count and the small package allows the oscillator to be placed closer to the laser, thus reducing EMI. Also, the turn-on and turn-off edges are slew rate limited to reduce higher harmonics.
The total current drawn from the power supply can be less than the laser threshold current due to the unique push-only modulation method. The average current is less than the peak oscillator current, and can be less than half of the oscillator current. The power control current supplied from the main board is reduced from many tens of mA to less than 2mA.
• Low power dissipation
• Reduced parts count from the conventional solution
• User-selectable frequency from 60MHz to 600MHz controlled with a single resistor
• User-selectable amplitude from 10mA pk-pk to 100mA pk-pk controlled by 0.2mA to 20mA input current
• Auto turn-off threshold
• Soft edges for reduced EMI
• Small SOT23-5 package
• DVD players
• DVD-ROM drives
• Combo drives
• MO drives
• General purpose laser noise reduction
• Local oscillator capability