The APD3212/NCP3218/NCP3218G is a highly efficient, multi−phase, synchronous buck switching regulator controller. With its integrated drivers, the APD3212/NCP3218/NCP3218G is optimized for converting the notebook battery voltage into the core supply voltage required by high performance Intel processors. An internal 7−bit DAC is used to read a VID code directly from the processor and to set the CPU core voltage to a value within the range of 0.3 V to 1.5 V. The APD3212/NCP3218/NCP3218G is programmable for 1−, 2−, or 3−phase operation. The output signals ensure interleaved 2− or 3−phase operation.
The APD3212/NCP3218/NCP3218G uses a multimode architecture run at a programmable switching frequency and optimized for efficiency depending on the output current requirement. The APD3212/NCP3218/NCP3218G switches between single− and multi−phase operation to maximize efficiency with all load conditions. The chip includes a programmable load line slope function to adjust the output voltage as a function of the load current so that the core voltage is always optimally positioned for a load transient. The APD3212/NCP3218/NCP3218G also provides accurate and reliable short−circuit protection, adjustable current limiting, and a delayed power−good output. The IC supports On−The−Fly (OTF) output voltage changes requested by the CPU.
The APD3212/NCP3218/NCP3218G are specified over the extended commercial temperature range of −40°C to 100°C. The ADP3212 is available in a 48−lead QFN 7x7mm 0.5mm pitch package. The NCP3218/NCP3218G is available in a 48−lead QFN 6x6mm 0.4mm pitch package. ADP3212/NCP3218 has 1.1 V Vboot Voltage, while NCP3218G has 987.5 mV Vboot Voltage. Except for the packages and Vboot Voltages, the APD3212/NCP3218/ NCP3218G are identical. APD3212/NCP3218/NCP3218G are Halogen−Free, Pb−Free and RoHS compliant.
• Single−Chip Solution
• Fully Compatible with the Intel® IMVP−6.5™ Specifications
• Selectable 1−, 2−, or 3−Phase Operation with Up to 1 MHz per Phase Switching Frequency
• Phase 1 and Phase 2 Integrated MOSFET Drivers
• Input Voltage Range of 3.3 V to 22 V
• Guaranteed ±8 mV Worst−Case Differentially Sensed Core Voltage Error Over Temperature
• Automatic Power−Saving Mode Maximizes Efficiency with Light Load During Deeper Sleep Operation
• Active Current Balancing Between Output Phases
• Independent Current Limit and Load Line Setting Inputs for Additional Design Flexibility
• Built−In Power−Good Blanking Supports Voltage Identification (VID) On−The−Fly (OTF) Transients
• 7−Bit, Digitally Programmable DAC with 0.3 V to 1.5 V Output
• Short−Circuit Protection with Programmable Latchoff Delay
• Clock Enable Output Delays the CPU Clock Until the Core Voltage is Stable
• Output Power or Current Monitor Options
• 48−Lead QFN 7x7mm (ADP3212), 48−Lead QFN 6x6mm (NCP3218/NCP3218G)
• Vboot = 1.1 V (ADP3212/NCP3218)
Vboot = 987.5 mV (NCP3218G)
• These are Pb−Free Devices
• Fully RoHS Compliant
• Notebook Power Supplies for Next−Generation Intel Processors