The A3980 is a complete microstepping motor driver with built-in translator for easy operation. It is designed to operate bipolar stepper motors in full-, half-, eighth-, and sixteenth step modes, at up to 35 V and ±1 A. The A3980 includes a fixed off-time current regulator which has the ability to operate in slow, fast, or mixed decay modes. This results in reduced audible motor noise, increased step accuracy, and reduced power dissipation.
The translator is the key to the easy implementation of the A3980. Simply inputting one pulse on the step input drives the motor one microstep. There are no phase sequence tables, high frequency control lines, or complex interfaces to program. The A3980 interface is an ideal fit for applications where a complex μP is unavailable or overburdened.
Features and Benefits
▪ Typical application up to ±1 A, 35 V output rating
▪ Low RDS(ON) outputs, 0.67 Ω source, 0.54 Ω sink typical
▪ Automatic current decay mode detection/selection
▪ 3.0 V to 5.5 V logic supply voltage range
▪ Mixed, fast, and slow current decay modes
▪ Synchronous rectification for low power dissipation
▪ Internal OVLO, UVLO, and thermal shutdown circuitry
▪ Crossover current protection
▪ Short to supply/ground and short/low load current diagnostics