SST’s ATA-Disk Module (ADM) is a low cost, high performance, embedded flash memory data storage system. This product is well suited for solid state mass storage applications offering new and expanded functionality while enabling cost effective designs.
The ADM is a solid state disk drive that is designed to replace conventional IDE hard disk drive and can be plugged into a standard IDE connector commonly found in desktop or portable PC systems.
ADM has built-in microcontroller and file management firmware that communicates with ATA standard interfaces; therefore, the ADM does not require additional or proprietary host software such as Flash File System (FFS) and Memory Technology Driver (MTD) software.
The ADM is designed to work at either 5V or 3.3V and is available in 8 to 192 MByte capacities. It uses standard ATA driver that is part of all major OS such as Windows 95/98/2000/NT/CE, MAC, UNIX, etc.
All signals, except WP#, are in compliance with the ATA specifications. WP# is used to write protect the information stored on the ADM. The WP# could be connected to the motherboard write protect control logic through a jumper. When WP# is low, the ADM is write protected to prohibit any inadvertent writes.
Every ADM comes with factory-programmed, 20-Byte long, unique identification number for extended data protection. This feature prevents unauthorized duplication by allowing encryption of customer data.
The ADM integrates a standard 40- or 44-pin female connector for easy and cost effective mounting on top of a standard IDE male connector commonly found on the system motherboards. ADM also offers user selectable Master/Slave operation through an external jumper setting.
• ATA/IDE standard interface
– 512 Bytes per sector
– ATA command set compatible
– Selectable Master/Slave Operation
– Support Data Transfer Speed up to PIO Mode-4
• 8, 16, 24, 32, 48, 64, 96, 128, and 192 MByte capacities
• Standard Female IDE Connector
– 40-pin and 44-pin
• Single Voltage Read and Write Operation
– 5.0V-only for SST58SMxxx
– 3.3V-only for SST58LMxxx
• Supports 5.0-Volt or 3.3-Volt Read and Write
– 4.5-5.5V or 3.135-3.465V for Commercial
• Low Power Consumption
– Active mode: 35 mA/55 mA (3.3V/5.0V) (typical)
– Sleep mode: 100 µA/150 µA (3.3V/5.0V) (typical)
• Sustained Write Performance
– Up to 1.4 MB/sec (host to flash)
• Extended Data Protection and Security
– WP# pin for Data Protection
– Factory-Programmed, 20-Byte Unique ID number
• Controller Overhead Command to DRQ
– Less than 0.5 ms
• Zero Power Data Retention
– Batteries not required for data storage
• Start Up Time
– Sleep to read: 200 ns (typical)
– Sleep to write: 200 ns (typical)
– Power-on to Ready:200 ms (typical)
• Support for Commercial Temperature Range
– 0°C to +70°C for Operating Commercial
– -50°C to +100°C for non-Operating (storage)
• Extremely Rugged and Reliable
– Built-in ECC support corrects 3 Bytes of error per 512 Byte sector
• Intelligent ATA/IDE Controller
– Built-in microcontroller with intelligent firmware
– Built-in Embedded Flash File System
• Power Management Unit
– Immediate disabling of unused circuitry